Hey Lions! Many of us had plans to travel in 2020 – I know I did! But the lockdown obviously spoiled those plans. I honestly miss travelling so much and I was looking for ways to get a dose of another culture. So today I’m writing about York’s exciting new E-xplore the World with LA&PS program that is helping us virtually visit countries from the comfort of our homes!
If you love to travel and experience new cultures, this program is perfect for you. From trivia, cooking classes, book clubs, movie clubs, theatre performances, to music and more, each month, this program will engage all your senses!
What’s in store?
The program has tons of activities lined up for 2021. Activities are divided into two categories:
- Independent activities include virtual tours of cities, historical and cultural sites, and museums, as well as quizzes, book clubs, theatre and musical performances.
- Live Virtual Events feature movie clubs and watching parties, trivia nights and cooking classes.
This program is also a great way to make some new connections with fellow students who miss travelling just as much as you do. I am sure that this experience will help us make happy memories and lasting connections.
Make sure to stay in touch with your e-travel mates and meet them after the pandemic.
Why should you participate, you ask?
Aside from making new connections like I just mentioned, here are my reasons:
- It’s free!
- You can participate according to your schedule.
- You can connect with the LA&PS community through the chats and discussion forums associated with different activities.
- Imagine how many friends you will make through the live events.
- You can explore a new country from the comfort of your home.
- You can record the experience on your Co-curricular record.
- You can learn about international work and study opportunities
There’s still time to catch one more live event this month, and it’s a good one! Register for the program and join this Italian Cooking Class on Thursday, January 28 from 4 to 5 p.m.
The schedule for February looks exciting as well! There are four live events lined up so far, including a movie club watch party, a trivia night and cooking classes where you can learn how to make a delicious and simple Japanese meal!
Take a look at the rest of their 2021 Schedule below! Keep an eye on their website each month to register for informative and exciting virtual and independent events from these countries:
June: Indigenous Canada
All the details are available through eClass. You can register for the E-xplore the World program at any point throughout the year and attend as many or as few activities as you would like!
If you have any questions or feedback, please reach out to LA&PS’ in-house Study Abroad Coordinator, Katie Gribbons (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Don’t forget to check out the 2021 schedule and let us know in the comments below which countries are you most looking forward to virtually experiencing. I can’t wait to see Kenya, Indigenous Canada and Mexico!
To stay up to date on campus life and events, connect with York on social media. You can follow us on Facebook @YorkUStudents, Twitter @YorkUStudents, Instagram @studentlifeyu and with our weekly This Week @ York emails.