Welcome to York University! We are excited to show you around campus and get you settled into university life at York U. One of the ways we will help you familiarize yourself with York U is inviting you to York Orientation Day on September 4, 2018. York Orientation Day offers you the chance to meet your fellow students and professors, get to know your College and learn about York U’s amazing resources.
Let’s get started!
Read more about York’s Colleges in the #YUBlog’s post, “Six Reasons to Get Involved with Your College.”[/caption]
York Orientation Day will kick off with your Faculty and College, where you will:
- Participate in an academic orientation tailored to your program;
- Connect with your soon-to-be classmates;
- Get advice from upper-year students from your program;
- Discover some essential York U services, such as:
After this educational session, your program’s designated peer leader will show you and your fellow students to meet your program Faculty and show you around York U’s Keele Campus. If you want a sneak peek of Keele Campus, check out the #YUBlog’s “Know Where to Go on Keele Campus” post!
Following a brief meal with your College, your next stop is the York Welcome Ceremony, where you will hear from the President of York U, watch performances and enjoy some fireworks!
When and Where is York Orientation Day?
York Orientation Day is on September 4, 2018 – right on time to start classes on September 5! As we mentioned earlier, the Orientation session is divided by Colleges, and each College hosts the event in a different place.
You will receive an email in August with your specific check-in location. If you missed the email, check out the “York Orientation Day Check-In Locations” webpage.
To close off York Orientation Day, you will be invited to the York Welcome Ceremony hosted in the York Lions Stadium – home to the 2015 Pan American Games – to finish off your exciting day!
Note: You must sign up through YU START to attend York Orientation Day.
How Do I Make the Most of York Orientation Day?
York Orientation Day only happens once a year, so let’s make the most of it! Here are some tips to help you along the way:
- Sign up to be matched with a peer leader from your College to help you achieve academic success;
- Follow/add/like the College social media pages to receive any news on events, workshops etc.;
- Prepare some questions that you may have for when you meet the Faculty in your program; and
- Discover any College events that interest you and think about getting involved with College intramurals, clubs etc.
What Do I Do After York Orientation Day?
After York Orientation Day, you are ready to begin your classes! If you ever want a recap of York Orientation Day or if you want to revisit some of the information provided at the Orientation session, feel free to visit YU START.
We wish you the best of luck with your first year at York University!
If you have any questions, comment below or tweet us at @YorkUStudents.