Each year student clubs unite to represent the vast diversity of different cultures that come together under one roof as students. This year was no exception, as there were many events lined up for students and staff to enjoy. The week kicked off with Cultural Intersection visual art exhibition.
- Cultural Intersection visual art exhibition -Where participants showcased their art via painting, photography, drawing, and other medias.
- Whole Food Market-An opportunity for one to taste the cuisine form around the world.
- DJ Sound Clash-DJs competed in hopes to stand as the sole winner, (as only one winner would remain) at The Underground representing their culture.
- Global Tour-Different clubs showcased their cultural traditions, as one could learn a phrase or two in different languages.
- ‘The land of opportunity’– a discussion towards understanding immigrant experiences, and challenges one can face as settling in Canada.
- Cultural Explosion – My personal favorite event! This event brought to life the diversity of students, which was showcased via dancing to cultural music often wearing traditional attires representing the multicultural community of YorkU.
Seeing the Cultural Explosion woke the sleeping Bollywood dancer in me. Truth be told, I cannot dance to Bollywood music for the life of me! Nonetheless, as I am amidst wedding planning and many of my cousins too – not being able to move to Bollywood doesn’t really remain a choice. South-Asian weddings and wedding-parties can be a month long of festivities, which often includes dance offs between the brides and the grooms families. So of course, I have signed up for Bollywood dance lessons commencing in a few months—but, for starters there is always Google! 😉
Dance move number 1 – Pull the Rope!
Dance move numero deux – The Roti (Pita) Dance…
Dance move three – Work those hips!
Grand Finale -You are sure to impress someone with these moves!
Perhaps, I can show off my Bollywood dance moves next year at the Cultural Explosion. Let the wedding-dance practices begin with York U!
Happy dancing till next time!