Hello readers! Today I’m going to share some of my best tips for staying mentally healthy. But first – do you know that York has an awesome new Mental Health and Wellness website? They offer contact information, wellness tips, resources, and my personal favourite – an amazing events feed. Check it out!
- Smile often & laugh frequently.
- Express your emotions instead of hiding them.
- Manage your stress – don’t let it rule your life.
- Ask for help when you need it. Asking for help doesn’t make you a weak person, it means you are smart and have enough respect for yourself that you don’t let yourself suffer needlessly.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new.
- Start reading and never stop.
- Keep up with world affairs, both local and global.
- Everything in moderation. Eat clean, but have treats when you want them. Save money, but splurge when you see something you like. It might take a lot of effort initially but before you know you’ll have some really healthy and balanced habits.
- Enjoy the little things in life (seriously, this blog is awesome).
- Spend time with your family – blood or chosen.
- Surround yourself by positive and motivated friends. They’ll make you feel more positive and motivated yourself.
- Do something fun impulsively, like a random last minute road trip. Do this as often as possible. Life is full of surprises, why not surprise yourself with positive moments?
- Keep a journal or a blog to record your thoughts, feelings and memories – look back to see how far you’ve come.
- Be creative. Write. Draw. Paint. Build. Dance. Sing. Bake.
- Stop! Deep breath in, deep breath out. Be present in your surroundings.
- Be active.
- Explore. You don’t always have to stick to the main path in life.
- Follow your curiosity, don’t stifle it.
- Volunteer and get involved in your community.
- Dream big and work so that your dreams can become reality. The only thing holding you back from your dream is you.
- Set goals and achieve them. Set new ones and achieve those too.
- Get a pet. Shower it with love. It will return that love tenfold.
- Take a break, and be lazy when you need to. Watch all three Lord of the Rings, back to back. Game from sunset to sunrise. Stay up all night talking with your friends. You don’t always have to be productive, sometimes the slow life is the best life.
- Let your loved ones know how much you appreciate them. They’ll do the same for you.
- Don’t give up if something doesn’t work the first time. Take a step back and think. Try again from a new perspective. If it still isn’t working out it’s okay to ask for help or move on.
What do you think of my 25 tips? Would you like to see more? Comment below!