Good morning, friends 🙂
Today I wanted to talk a little bit about finding balance during the various breaks during the school year.
York has a quite a few different breaks:
- Co-Curricular days which run from Wednesday to Sunday of this coming week (don’t forget some students have weekend classes)
- Study days on December 3rd and December 9th.
- Fall Exam Period from December 10th – 23rd
- Winter Break which starts whenever your exams are finished and ends on January 5th.
- Reading Week from February 15th-21st.
- Winter Exam Period which runs from April 8th-24th.
A lot of students, especially those that are transitioning from highschool, don’t know how to find balance during these breaks. Some students choose to cram, others prefer to veg. My preferred approach is to find balance, which you too can try by following these tips:
- #HaveFun – I think it’s great to try to plan one fun thing for each day of the break. You could plan something more expensive like heading over to Canada’s Wonderland with some of your friends, or you could try something more economical such as going tobogganing (which I’m totally doing this winter). Don’t be afraid to try something new!
- #BePrepared – if you have midterms or exams coming up, don’t slack on scheduling study sessions. You might be feeling burnt out but if you balance your fun days with a couple hours of studying, you’ll be surprised at how much studying you can get done. Just make sure you don’t study TOO much. Everyone needs to recharge!
- #WorkItOut – there’s nothing wrong with having a tv or movie marathon every now and then but I caution you against staying stagnant for your whole break. Take some time each day to do something active. You could work out, go for a walk, head over to the mall, etc. Not only will your mood brighten, but you’ll also likely find that you are having an easier time concentrating while you study! Give it a try 🙂
- #FamilyMatters – breaks are the perfect time to catch up with your family. I always try to make plans with close relatives that I don’t get to see that often like my aunts or my Grandma, but if you haven’t seen your parents or siblings in awhile I recommend going home for a visit. And hey, you might even score some food to bring back to residence or where ever you are living 😉
Now you should have all the information you need to have an amazing and balanced break. Which tips will you be trying out? Comment below!