The Mature and Transfer Student Waiting Game

Posted by York & U on April 9, 2013

Get In The Know

As a transfer or mature student, the post-secondary application process usually isn’t anything new. Some mature students maybe applying to university for the very first time, however, the steps you must take after sending out an application are quite different from those students applying from high school. Here are some things that mature and transfer students should take into consideration while waiting to hear a response from York.

Supporting Documents

The supporting documents that mature and transfer students are required to submit are slightly different than those applying from high school. A mature student is any student who is 21 years of age or older who has not been enrolled in formal education in the past two years. These students are required to submit high school transcripts (if studied within the last ten years); any post-secondary transcripts;  a resume; and a one to two page personal letter outlining your achievements, experience and reasons for wanting to pursue university students. In addition, mature students must submit and meet any faculty or program specific requirements. All documentation can be submitted to the Office of Admissions.

Transfer students must submit course descriptions for any post-secondary work taken outside North America, as well as transcripts from all post-secondary studies. Transcripts from secondary studies must be submitted if you completed high school within the past five years. For more information on required documentation for mature and transfer students, visit the required documentation page on the Future Students website. A list of required documentation for your application is listed on your MyFile account.

Did you know York offers housing options catered to the needs of graduate and mature students?

Visit Campus

Visiting campus is the best way to discover the services York offers for mature and transfer students. Campus tours can be booked online and are led by current York students who will be able to answer any questions you may have.


Being a transfer and mature student can have financial perks as York offers financial awards specifically for mature and transfer students. Upon applying to York, students are encouraged to fill out the Entrance Student Financial Profile in order to apply for awards and scholarships. Some of the awards offered are specifically for mature and transfer students only. Browse the awards list and apply to the ones you qualify for.

Students may also apply for funding through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) in order to help pay for expenses.


Undergraduate residence often doesn’t appeal to older students, which is why York offers housing options specifically for mature students.  The York Apartments are a complex of apartment buildings located on the south side of the Keele campus. These apartments cater to the needs of graduate students, mature students, students with families and students over the age of 21. Both furnished and unfurnished models are available. Visit the Student Housing website to learn more about accommodations for older students.

Now all you have left to do is to check your application status frequently. You can monitor your application through your MyFile account. If an acceptance appears, be sure to click accept by the stated deadline!

  • Avatar

    Don’t forget, prospective mature students can always contact the Atkinson Centre for Mature and Part-time Students (ACMAPS) at York, if they need support applying to York University. Check out our website for more information: