A big part of living in residence in first year is getting food via a meal plan. The way this is set up at York is really cool; if a location sells food on campus, chances are you can use your meal plan! This is especially helpful if you have classes all over campus, because you don’t have to go back to a specific cafeteria to grab something to eat like at some other schools. You can find out more about how meal plans work by visiting this blog post by Adrienne.
Since I just came from a year of living in residence and eating using the meal plan I thought I would give you a rundown of my favourite places to get something to eat.
1. Freshii is located in the Lassonde Building off of Campus Walk. They have really good salads, wraps and noodle bowls all of which you can customize. There are also healthy snack foods sold at this location.
2. Berries and Blooms in York Lanes. This location has a fruit and salad bar, and also serves pasta salad, hard boiled eggs, sandwiches and fruit smoothies.
3. La Prep is also in York Lanes. They specialize in in panninis, sandwiches and wraps, along with coffee and some baked goods.
1. Second Cup is located in York Lanes. They serve specialty coffee drinks, baked goods and sandwiches. Second Cup is my number one choice because it is a great study spot if you don’t mind a bit of noise.
2. Tim Horton’s is located all over campus, from the Tel Building, to the William Small Centre. If you walk around enough, you’ll probably find one. And Tim’s is a lot cheaper than most of the other coffee shops on campus which will allow you to stretch out your meal plan.
3. Starbucks is in the Centre for Film and Theatre. It gets rank number three because sometimes you just need a Pumpkin Spice Latte.
Sit Down Restaurants:
1. The Absinthe Pub and Coffee Shop is in Winters College. This is the only student run pub on campus and it’s a lot of fun with a great atmosphere! They also have dinner specials if you want to mix it up.
2. The Underground is in the Student Centre. They have really good food if you want to splurge…the meals are more expensive, but the food is really awesome!
This is just a starting point for finding great food on campus. Another fantastic resource is York’s Food Services website which will give you a rundown of everything available. Throughout your four years at York, you’ll keep discovering new spots to get something to eat, and will no doubt develop your own favourites.