As a dancer, my typical day includes at least three hours of class and therefore doing physical activity. You might think that three hours is more than enough per day, but I find that I often need one or two extra workouts throughout the week to really stay in shape. That’s where the Tait McKenzie Centre comes in.
Tait Mckenzie is York’s gym facility where you’ll find a gym, studios, pool and more. The facility here is really great with lots of different options available to help you keep a healthy lifestyle.
1. The fitness center is fully stocked with cardio machines, weight machines and free weights. During the busiest times, there can be a bit of a wait for machines; however you are able to book a time slot on a specific machine at the front desk if you know when you are coming!
2. York also has a number of gymnasiums designed for team sport use. Many of the intramural activities that I mentioned in a previous post take place in these gyms. This is a great way to exercise, while having fun with friends.
3. Tait Mckenzie houses a 25-metre pool. There are lane swims about 3 times a day for an hour each where students can swim laps. If you prefer swimming over running on a treadmill, this is a great way to get your workout in.
4. If you play squash, there are five North American singles squash courts at Tait. You are able to book a time by either calling or in person at the Client Services Desk up to 24 hours in advance. For more information go here. recreation.yorku.ca/facilities
I totally understand that when you have a lot of school work, or haven’t gotten enough sleep it can be hard to drag yourself to the gym to work out, but these numerous benefits might help to motivate you.
- Working out will improve your quality of sleep.
- Working out will actually improves your mental capacity in terms of memory and concentration.
- Working out improves your mood!
- Exercising boosts your energy.
If you have never worked out before, York offers personal trainers that will help you create a fitness routine! One session costs $45, and the more sessions you do, the less it costs per session. There are also Fitness and Wellness classes that run weekly, and these are free with the purchase of a shoe tag ($15/year!). The classes offered range from Core Conditioning to Cardio Tae Boxing.
When I go to the gym, I like to use the elliptical machine for 20-40 minutes for a cardiovascular workout to start off. I then move to the weight machines and strengthen my legs and arms. After that I go to the mats and do crunches and other exercises for my abs. I always finish with stretching out all of the muscles I used throughout my workout. It took me a little while to figure out what worked for me, so I encourage you to try out a bunch of different exercises to find something that you like!