Do You Know About Our Language Requirements?

Posted by York & U on February 3, 2012


A group of students meet for a study groupAlthough York welcomes students from all over the world, we also require that all applicants provide proof of English proficiency. The only exemption is for Glendon applicants, who can provide proof of French or English proficiency. There are a two ways that students can do this: English tests or studies.

Depending on where you study and what the official language is, your studies may provide proof of language proficiency. In order to be exempt from providing an official language test score you must fulfill one of the following requirements:

  • Four full years of study in Canada in English or French at the secondary-school level
  • Four full years of study at the secondary-school level in English in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction;
  • one full year of study in an accredited university degree program in English in a country where English is a primary language;
  • two full years of study in English in an accredited college diploma/applied degree program in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction.

If you are completing – or already completed – the International Baccalaureate diploma, you may also satisfy our English language requirements. You must be able to show achievement once you finish the diploma. Students who do not meet these requirements, but present a minimum of an “A” average in senior-level academic courses or an 80% average in grade 12 U/M credits may also be exempt from submitting an official test score. In addition, students who complete level 6 at the York University English Language Institute will also satisfy our language requirements.

Students who do not meet these requirements must provide an acceptable language test score. York accepts the York English Language Test (YELT), Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and International English Language Test Service (IELTS). For a complete listing of the required scores, visit our Future Students website.

Glendon applicants also have the option of providing proof of French proficiency. If you wish to provide proof of French proficiency, you must write the French Language Admissions Test. The test is administered by the Glendon Recruitment & Liaison Office. For more information you can contact the office (416 487 6710 or

Applicants to the Faculty of Education must meet a separate set of language requirements, available on the Faculty of Education website.

If you are unsure of whether or not you need to submit a test score, don’t worry. If York requires you to submit one, it will show up on your MyFile account. Also keep in mind York always reserves the right to ask for a language test score, even if you meet one of the requirements above. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask! You can always comment or call the Admissions Office, 416 736 5000.

  • Avatar
    Abu Saif

    dear sir, my name is abu saif. i would like to apply for graduate courses but i m wondering, i have my undergraduate degree from Bangladesh which primary language was English for instruction, am i eligible for graduate program? or can i

    get the exemption from taking YELT? i m looking forward to hearing from you soon.

  • Avatar

    Hi I’m student in university of Montreal and I did my test language in French for start study in university of York have I do another test in English language

  • Avatar

    Hi Maryam. If you are applying for a program offered in English and have not complete four full years of study in Canada in English at the secondary-school level in a country where English is a primary language or where English is the primary language of instruction, you must demonstrate your language proficiency in English. You can find out more about York’s language requirements here:

  • Avatar


    i am a new immigrant to Canada and have applied to york university’s undegraduate program. i have given the GCE O-LEVEL english exam with a score of A+. i am also currently in grade 12 and am doing grade 12 English University course. So, could you help me wether i have to give the TOEFL test or not?

  • Avatar
    Aníbal Astorga

    Hi! I want to study a masters next year at YU, and my score in the iBT TOEFL is 95 and they require 100, do you think I should take it again?

    Thanks in advance for your time. 🙂