A Guide to the Summer Student Financial Profile

Posted by Shannon Hui on May 3, 2018

Careers | Get In The Know | York & U

Have you completed the Student Financial Profile (SFP) for Summer 2018 yet? The application portal is now open for students wishing to participate in the Summer 2018 Work/Study program (RAY/CLAY/YES/Workstudy). The SFP is a multipurpose online application form used to apply for scholarships, bursaries and on-campus employment programs. Keep reading today’s #YUBlog post for important information about the Student Financial Profile and on-campus employment!

Completing the Student Financial Profile

The Student Financial Profile should normally be completed at the start of each academic session, once for the fall/winter session and once for the summer session. Once completed, you can be considered for various financial aid programs and on-campus employment opportunities. Undergraduate and graduate students (excluding Schulich graduate students) can access the SFP. Future York U students and prospective applicants are to complete the SFP on the Future Students page.

Image from York Image Collection
Complete the Summer 2018 SFP to see if you are eligible to apply for York U’s Work/Study program!

York U’s Work/Study Program

York University’s Work/Study program offers York U students on-campus employment opportunities. These part-time roles range from working with administration and faculties to focusing on research and campus engagement. Learn more about the specific Work/Study opportunities on the Student Financial Services Employment website.

Success tip: The deadline to apply for the Summer 2018 SFP is June 15, 2018.

If you need convincing to complete the Student Financial Profile, here’s one: you must complete the SFP to determine your eligibility for Work/Study employment! All available Work/Study positions are posted on the Career Centre website.

Becoming YU

This year, York U launched Becoming YU, a brand-new leadership and career development program that helps students identify their professional goals and build in-demand career skills. York U’s Work/Study students have the opportunity to participate in Becoming YU to ensure that they make the most of their work experience. For example, Work/Study students in the Becoming YU program will meet with their assigned Career Coach to determine the core competencies they want to develop, participate in mentorship opportunities and complete online modules that will help them identify and articulate the leadership and career competencies they gain through their work experiences.

Student Financial Services offers support and resources to help students manage their financial situation. You can talk with a Financial Aid Adviser by visiting Registrarial Services on the Keele Campus or Student Financial Services on the Glendon Campus.  Also, you can explore the Student Financial Services website for information on financial resources.

Image from York Image Collection
Join one of York U’s Work/Study programs and make a difference to your community.

Get the Inside Scoop

This past year, I was involved with the York Engaged Students (YES) Work/Study Program as one of the student bloggers. From sharing the inside scoop on campus events to helping launch a new series highlighting the achievements of York U alumni, the experience has put my skills to the test. Contrary to what people may think, blogging for the #YUBlog requires more than just a knack for writing! I’ve had the opportunity to collaborate with bloggers and content creators, expand my network by interviewing alumni and student organizations and develop my personal writing style and voice.

My favourite part of my Work/Study experience is being a student voice for the York U community. With every post, I feel a great sense of accomplishment. Beginning from creating the content to formatting the post, I own the process from start to finish! When it comes to meeting the challenge of balancing school and work and finding my personal writing style, I was supported by my managers and mentors every step of the way. If you’re seeking a rewarding work experience this summer, I would highly suggest applying for Work/Study positions!

What are you waiting for, Lions? Complete your Summer Student Financial Profile today!

Are you part of York’s on-campus employment programs? Comment below or tweet us about your experience on Twitter at @YorkUStudents.

Shannon Hui
Shannon Hui

Shannon is a third-year student in the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) Program at York U. She is also an ice cream fanatic (especially for chocolate chip cookie dough), bookworm and stationery enthusiast, and she hopes York students enjoy reading her posts!

See other posts by Shannon Hui