Future Students: Connect with York University

Posted by Elizabeth Naccarato on April 26, 2018

A YU Perspective | On-board to York

Ah springtime! The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming and York acceptance offers are flowing. Yes, it’s that time of year to accept your offer of admission to the university or college of your choice and to those of you who chose York University, welcome aboard! York University houses more than 200 programs and is home to some of Canada’s most prestigious professional schools, including Osgoode Hall Law School, Lassonde School of Engineering and Schulich School of Business.

Once you accept your offer to York, it’s time to connect with the campus and prepare yourself for the school year ahead. There are a few ways to do this and three very important websites that will become your guide for the next few months before heading into the school year. Today’s blog post will introduce newly admitted York students to YUSTART, YU Connect and Housing Services.

Success tip: Visit the I’ve been admitted page for step-by-step instructions about accepting your offer of admission and a list of ways to prepare for university life!

The Bergeron Centre for the Lassonde School of Engineering!

YUSTART

For first-year students about to embark on their York University journey, YUSTART is the place to begin. This website will be your hub for crucial information about transitioning to university life: however, you must create your Passport York account before using this resource. In order to create your Passport York account, you must log in to the Manage My Services page on the York website. You will need to use the reference number that you received with your offer of admission as your username and your date of birth for your password (YYYYMMDD). Once logged in, the site will give your instructions about changing your password. Voila! You now have a Passport York account. Your reference number and Passport York login are very important, since Passport York is the primary method of online authentication at the University. From viewing your Grade Report to accessing your student financial account, your Passport York login will be crucial.

Now you can use YUSTART to get a head start on joining the York community. By using YUSTART, you will:

• Enrol in courses for your upcoming first year at York University
  • Join online discussions and interact with incoming and current students
  • Sign up for York Orientation Day to get acquainted with your program, explore the campus, meet classmates and Faculty and enjoy York’s official Welcome Ceremony.
If you have the opportunity to visit the Glendon Campus make sure to check out the 100 year old manor!

A little extra feature of the YUSTART page is a detailed list of all the new student resources and services that are readily available to you. Make sure to check out the list for any questions you have about academic support, campus life, financial support, transportation and more!

Fun Fact: You should check out the “Accepted to York U, Class of 2022 – OFFICIAL” Facebook page to connect with other incoming first year students! If you are going to be attending the Glendon campus next fall make sure to check out their page as well “Glendon: Classe de rentrée 2018″.

YU Connect

Another website that can help you plan your future at York is YU Connect. YU Connect is a website dedicated to the clubs, organizations and sports teams at York. This website will give you a detailed list of the hundreds of clubs that you can become a part of, whether you’re interested in sports, religion, charity work, gaming, music, art, culture or fitness. From Able York all the way to Zhaobao Taichi Association at York University, there is something for everyone!

A little extra tip: stay connected with YU Connect during the school year for an updated calendar of all the events happening around campus and events hosted by York student-run clubs. The YU Connect website is also home to the Co-Curricular Record, which helps students keep track of all the organizations you have joined during your time at York, as well as your leadership and volunteer experience. The Co-Curricular Record is a great resource  when it comes to applying for graduate school and future jobs!

Fun Fact: Check out the #YUBlog’s “Club Spotlight” series to explore York student-run clubs. Our latest “Club Spotlight’ showcased the Meatless Monday club.

Enjoy the spring weather on the Keele campus walk.

Housing Services

The final important website for newly admitted York students is Housing Services. This website will give students planning to live in residence the inside scoop on what programs are affiliated with what residence, show you inside shots of each type of room and give you a detailed floor plan of what you can expect. There are single rooms and double rooms available in each residence; however, it’s all about what you prefer. During my first year at York, I chose to live in a single room at Calumet College. You can also link to meal plan information from the Housing Services website.

Housing Services also offers short-term housing year-round and in the summer, which includes renting a York University dorm room for a short amount of time. For example, if you are a summer student or will be coming to Toronto for a conference, with a school group or on vacation, you can opt to stay in residence instead of paying for an expensive hotel.

Some students hanging out in one of the Vanier residence double rooms.

The 2018-2019 undergraduate housing applications are now available, so make sure to apply!

Finally, it’s always a good idea to check out the Current Students website to learn about York University and everything that the institution has to offer students, from learning support services to athletics facilities. Similarly, stay up to date with the York University Facebook and Twitter channels for student news, deadline reminders and more.

Remember, check your email frequently for upcoming information for newly admitted students. If you change your contact information, update your Student Personal Information to make sure you don’t miss updates about important deadlines, program details and financial information.

Have you accepted your offer to attend York University next year? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us at @YorkUStudents!

Elizabeth Naccarato
Elizabeth Naccarato

Elizabeth is a fourth-year Professional Writing major at York U. She enjoys reading for pleasure (no textbooks please), a nice cup of coffee (but only iced) and being surrounded by good company. She hopes her blog posts will be helpful and inspiring to current and future York U students.

See other posts by Elizabeth Naccarato