Fresh Man 15–refers to an amount of weight a University Freshman gains, and drops in grades from high school. It is easy to understand why… trying to keep up with studies, employment, family, and social life obligations, we can easily neglect our health, which in turn can affect our grades.
I have spoken about stress management before, but our health is just as equally important and should not be over looked. There is a high correlation between nutrition and learning. To save precious time, as a commuter student I have been hooked on green smoothies.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so make sure you don’t miss it, especially with exams coming up and stress levels high; breakfast can be easily overlooked. Juicing is super-nutritious and extremely time efficient. Follow my three simple recipes of green smoothies below. Ready in less than five minutes:
Recipe 1: (You can adjust the quantities according to taste–I’ve listed my rough quantity of ingredients for the first smoothie.)
- Kale – ( I usually pack the blender about more than half way.)
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 apple
- 4 Strawberries
- 6 walnuts
- Water – (I use 2 cups—you can adjust this depending on how you like the consistency of your smoothie.)
Recipe 2: (You can adjust the quantities according to taste.)
- 1/2 Banana
- 6 Almonds
Recipe 3:(You can adjust the quantities according to taste.)
- 1/2 Banana
- 6 Walnuts
Pour in a bottle and you’re ready to go! Healthy breakfast has never been easier before…now there is no excuse to miss it! These green smoothies are packed with nutrients and keep me full for a long time, and I get a lot of my water intake from these.
Options at York U:
- Booster Juice – If you get addicted to the green smoothies, and need something similar on campus—there is Booster juice located in Central Square. I have personally never tried it, but checked out their menu the other day, and I was impressed. They have a large variety of smoothies, and they provide “Boosters” you can add to any drink.
- York University Farmer’s Market (YUM) – Make your own smoothies by visiting YUM which runs every Thursday 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) Building. Excluding reading week, co-curricular days, and holidays.
- York International Office – Living in Canada Series: Groceries & Healthy Eating –sessions held in 242 York Lanes. York International hosts regular sessions about everything you need to know about living in Canada to support our international students. Missed a session? No worries, you can always drop by the office, and someone will be able to help you.
Hope you enjoyed these recipes. Share some of your nutritious breakfast secrets with me. I would to hear them!
Bon Voyage till next time!